Wednesday, May 14, 2008

SATURDAY TRIP

Sorry that I never got back to share my Saturday trip. My Sister and I headed out Saturday morning for Cox's Plant Farm. One of our fellow blogger's recommended it, and for the life of me I can't remember who. If you are reading this, please let me know and I will give you credit for the tip. (UPDATE: IT WAS KAREN AT KAREN'S PLACE) We had not got 2 miles out of Lafayette and we saw a garage sale sign. We had to stop because you just never know what you might be passing up. In this case, it was this great fountain. It just needs to be cleaned up, and if I get motivated, a coat of paint. It is also is covered in lime so that will have to be removed, but I just couldn't pass it up for $10.00! What a bargain. My Sister got a good laugh out of me trying to get it in the car. I bought a sheet at the sale to wrap around it, but it was going to be a challenge fitting plants around it for the rest of the day, but I knew that it would be worth it.
So we head out and get as far as Crawfordsville and see I sign for Davidson Greenhouse. If you have never been to this greenhouse, it is worth a visit. They have been around for as long as I can remember and have a great selection of plants. Lots of odd varieties of coleus, geraniums, cactus, and other oddball plants. The signage from Highway 231 is very good, and needs to be because they are located in the middle of the countryside. As we were leaving I snapped a picture of this little girl 'riding' this concrete lion. I wish that I had thought to give her parents my blog address so that they could have a copy of the picture.
So we finally leave there and head for Cox's. We arrive around 1 o'clock and the place is VERY busy! Duh, it's Mother's Day weekend, what were we thinking. They claim to be the largest garden center in Indiana, and I believe them. I have worked in a retail garden center and I don't know how they do it. They must have hundreds of employees. Just keeping up with watering would be a huge job. We spent a couple of hours shopping, and decided that we were starving and needed to find someplace to eat. We both commented on the fact that we were surprised they don't have a food vender on site. As we walked outside and around the corner, there was a tent set up for the Boy Scouts, and they were selling hamburgers, hot dogs, and chips. Wow, what luck! I bet that they made a fortune that day. It looked to me, by there set up, that they had done this before, probably every weekend so far this Spring.
So, after we had each helped out the Boy Scouts with their fund raiser, (I like to think of it that way instead of pigging out), we headed into Indy. We didn't really have a plan of where we wanted to go when we got there, so we just started driving. By chance, we ran across Eagle Creek Nursery, but didn't find much there. When we left there, we got lost, which we often do when we are on on of our trips. We always say that we are going to map out our route before we go, but we never do. At one point, we pull up to a stop sign, with me driving, and my Sister trying to figure out where we are. As I look to my left there is a church there, with a sign meant just for us out front. God has a great sense of humor!
We managed to find our way back to a main road, and found a few more interesting places to stop. Of course no trip to Indy would be complete without a few minutes at the Half price bookstore, well it was actually more like an hour but whose keeping track?
Only my Sister could have gotten me out of my garden last Saturday. I knew that it was supposed to rain on Sunday, which it did, and that I would be back to work on Monday. So, another weekend that I got nothing done outside. But I also knew that if I tried to get out of going, she would give me a huge lecture about enjoying the Spring season, not just working every weekend and missing it.
I hope that everyone has someone like my Sister in their life, to remind them of what really is important.
Thanks Peg.

3 comments:

Robin's Nesting Place said...

I saw that post too and even bookmarked the Cox Plant Farm website, but I can't remember who it was either.

I'd love to visit there one day soon. Sounds like it would be worth the trip.

Matt and Jen said...

I had no idea there were so many nurseries around! Thanks for letting us come along on your trip. Sounds like it was a great time. Sometimes, the best times are had when we don't mind getting lost, huh? -Jen :)

Karen said...

Hi all, the Cox's Plant Farm post was from me. In fact I was there on Friday and spent two hours looking through all the greenhouses. I couldn't make up my mind on some things, but I did manage to finally leave with a few annuals.

I'll have to check out Davidson's now! woo-hoo