Sunday, May 11, 2008

MOTHERS DAY LIST

Today is Mother's day, or as it is known around my house, 'Slave for a Day'. Because it is windy and rainy out, my list will probably not get completely done. Some of the things on my list had to be done outside, so they will have to wait for next weekend. I guess that is the true meaning of getting a 'rain check'. They did get my swing frame repaired, and my new water feature for my patio started. Both required the use of the welder, and I don't weld. I am replacing the water feature that I had next to my patio because it only held about 5 gallons of water, and the wind would blow the water off of it. So I was constantly refilling it. I am replacing it with a 25 gallon container, and a lower fountain, so it should not be bothered by the wind.
The flowering trees have been especially beautiful this Spring. This picture is of my 'Prariefire' crab tree. As the petals began to fall, it looked like pink confetti all over the sidewalk. It is also very fragrant, which is why I planted it by the back door to the house. These little Anemone Sylvestris 'Snowdrop' are beginning to worry me. They seem to really like this spot, and are spreading
rapidly. I really like them, and they flower very early, but I am going to have to keep an eye on them so that they don't take over the bed. Right in front of them in the picture is a Heliopsis 'Loraine Sunshine'. It has variegated foliage, and if I remember right, a yellow flower. I really like variegated plants, and this one has done pretty well. The picture below is in my back garden where I try to plant things that I don't have to fuss with. The plants in this garden need to be able to take care of themselves most of the time.
These are some variegated hosta that I had no place else to put, so I stuck them in here last fall. At the time I wasn't thinking about how they would look when the sweet woodruff was blooming. Sometimes things just work out with no help from us. I love how these two look together. Sweet woodruff is a wonderful groundcover for the shade, and spreads slowly over the years. The tree peony that I wrote about last Spring has begun to send out new growth. If you look closely it looks like two different plants. Last year I was puzzled by the plant blooming the expected yellow, and then blooming pink. When I was at the wholesale nursery earlier this Spring I asked one of the workers there about this oddity. He told me that this was very common. Tree peony's are grafted onto other peony rootstock, and the pink colored peony is coming up from the rootstock. I was surprised that they were grafted, because peony's are very hardy. He said that he was surprised too, and could not explain why this is done either. So, I cut they taller branches off of the plant. It was hard to do, because they looked really healthy and vigorous, but I know that the yellow peony is the grafted, and more desirable one.
Well, the 'slaves' need my advice on their work, so I am off. I will try to post later on my road trip yesterday, 'garden center hopping'.
Happy Mother's Day to all of you Mother's out there in blogger land!

2 comments:

Leslie said...

Thanks for your comment at Dreams and Bones ... it led me to YOUR blog. I'll be back.

Cinj said...

Wow, I should try a slave list! Oh, I guess Cheesehead works just about every Mother's Day so I suppose that wouldn't work.