Tuesday, April 22, 2008

UH, OH, TROUBLE!!

This morning we had to travel to Indianapolis to the wholesale nursery and pick up plant material for several jobs. I do all of the landscaping, so my husband doesn't have a clue what plants go on each job. He goes with me to pick up plants, just to be the 'load and tarp down the plants, guy'. This makes it very easy to smuggle a few plants home for myself, each time we go.
Now, imagine yourself surrounded by acres of lush beautiful trees, shrubs, and perennials, all at wholesale prices. How can I be expected to behave myself in that kind of a situation? Especially first thing in the Spring! I was like a kid in a candy store!
Spring is always the best shopping because everything is fresh, and usually flowering. They must have had 500 Japanese maples just leafing out, and all of the flowering trees were blooming. They were really not much of a temptation because I don't have anymore room for trees. Where I ran into trouble was in the perennial greenhouses. There were several new perennials, and some that I had just never tried, and after all, I need to know the growing habit of as many plants as possible, in order to help my customers make wise choices. So, with that in mind I proceeded to pick out a few interesting plants.
First I chose a tree peony ('Kamatanishiki') that is supposed to have a blue flower. Now we all know that true blue flower's, are few and far between, but I decided to give this one a shot. I was not able to pronounce it's name, but that is beside the point. Next was a variegated helleborus ('Pacific Frost'), very cool looking, a heuchera ('Mystic Angel'), I just liked it's name, a baptisia (Twilite Prairie'), because I love all baptisia's, and a pasque flower, because, believe it or not, I have never grown one.
Now, didn't I do a good job of not going overboard? I controlled myself very well. Actually, I just happen to know that we will be back down in a few weeks, and they will have lots more plants in by then!

2 comments:

Carol said...

Oh yes, trouble, indeed. I am quite envious of your new plants, especially the variegated hellebore.

Carol, May Dreams Gardens

Connie said...

Nice choice of plants....and wholesale to boot, which is certainly a nice perk. :-)