Wednesday, April 23, 2008

EVERYTHING IS BEAUTIFUL

It is a joy to drive around town this time of year. Everywhere you look, something catches your eye. Right now it is the pear trees, redbuds, and magnolias. The viburnums are just starting, and the forsythia are just about finished. My 'Ann' magnolia is in full bloom. I like this variety because it doesn't get much larger than about 8-10 feet tall, and continues to bloom off and on throughout the summer. But the 'Butterflies' magnolia is awesome! I am sure that if it was planted near the road like Ann is, people would be stopping to ask what it is. My only regret is that it is planted with a not so pretty back drop, and way to much yellow in front of it. I think that those daffodils should be dug up and moved, and maybe some nice red tulips should replace them.
I also have posted a picture of 'Euphorbia Myrsinites'. It is an interesting plant, always blooming before anything else in the garden, and continuing to bloom through the Spring. It grows along the front edge of my back beds, and never becomes a pest. It does seed, but pulling up any babies that you don't want is pretty easy.
We do need rain, and it is in the forecast for tomorrow evening, but I don't think that there is a very strong chance of it. I love how the plants just seem to jump out of the ground after a Spring rain. The farmers in my area are grateful for a chance to get their crops in, but I would still like to see a little rain, and I can't believe that I am saying this...a little bit cooler weather. Well, it is Indiana, tomorrow we could have snow!

4 comments:

SuzyQ said...

Don't say the "s" word - it might hear you and come this way. I want to put my gloves and scarves up...so shhhhh. :)

Karen said...

It has been quite warm. But I won't complain. I noticed the farmers have been working their crops in my area too. I think it may even be earlier than last year.

Cinj said...

I know. There's just something great about all of these lovely plants growing in spring. You have many more plants blooming there than we do here, but at least most of my snow has finally melted off. About darn time, it's almost May for Pete's sake!

Sherry at the Zoo said...

I am in the market for two magnolias, so I was really interested in your pictures and comments. I'll have to do some research on the two you mentioned. So far I've only been able to find Elizabeth and Felicity (I think those were the names). I didn't feel that either of them was right for me.