Friday, March 7, 2008

ANOTHER BOOK SALE

Well, last Friday night there was another library book sale. These are very dangerous for me, especially when I am starting a church library. Most of my time was spent looking through the religious books, but I could never leave a sale without checking out the gardening books. I did really well this year, either they were picked over before I got to them, or I already owned them. I just ended up with a few. But what an odd assortment. I picked out some really different gardening books at this sale. I wonder if they were all donated by the same person? I will share a couple of the books that I bought that are very different from the normal gardening books I usually purchase.
The first one is called "The One-Minute Gardener". I don't know about you, but this intrigued me. Gardening in a minute. Where is the fun in that? I spend more than a minute just standing at the edge of the garden, wondering what to tackle next. I guess this book would be great for someone that is on a tight schedule.....but really, 1 minute. That is insane. The book does have some good time-management tips in it, so I will put it on my shelf, but I don't ever want to get to the point when I spend just one minute a day in my garden.
The next book is called "The Carpet Garden". I couldn't imagine what this book might have to say, but you guessed it. Cover your garden with carpet, and plant through it. No weeds, no bugs?, no mess! I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want to garden in my living room, so this idea is not for me. The only thing that I took from this book was to maybe plant my tomato plant through a square of carpet. This might hold in moisture, and keep the plant dry. But as far as carpeting my whole garden, that's just not going to happen!
Then there was a book on Labyrinth's called, amazingly enough, (get it, maze) Labyrinth. I enjoy labyrinth's but I am not sure I want one on my property. I think that they would take a lot of care, and I just don't see the value in it. So, I will just look through the book when I want to admire the beauty of these things.
Then there is the "The Garlic Lovers' Cookbook" straight from the garlic growing capital of the U.S.A., Gilroy, California. I thought that I might need this when I dig the garlic next Fall, that I planted this past Fall. There are lot's of recipes, and some of the history of the plant. The festival that they have in Gilroy draws thousands of people each year. Local legend says that when Will Roger passed through the town at harvest time, he described it as "the only town in America where you can marinate a steak just by hanging it out on the clothesline".
I also picked up a few older books, one called "The Language of Gardening", and one called "Favorite Flowers in Color". There is nothing like the old gardening books. The one on flowers has 300 pictures, and must weigh 5 pounds. The flower book is from the 1940's, and the language of gardening the 6o's.

Then there is one called "The Lively Garden Prayer Book". It is full of garden prayer-poems. Some of the titles are, "The Hymn of Holy Lettuce", "The Pouting Potato", and "A Dung Beetle's Love Call". It is a very cute book. There is also one called"A Well-Watered Garden" A Gardeners Guide to Spirituality. It is a journal for writing your thoughts down, with scripture passages, and garden ideas, sprinkled throughout the book.
There is a book called, "Tales from the Plant Kingdom" that is signed by the author. It tells the legends and stories about the flowers and plants that we have in our garden.
I also got a book on lavender, entitled, "Lavender". It is one of my favorite plants and this book has tips on growing it, and using it. It has great pictures that I can look at in the winter months. I will just spray the air with lavender essential oil, look at the pictures, and pretend that it is summer outside.
Also, a book called "Kitchen Table Bird Book". Now I have lot's of bird books, but none specifically written to be kept on the kitchen table, and since this is where I mainly watch the birds from, how could I pass it up? It is a nice book, with drawings instead of photo's.I also picked up a copy of a book of "Frog's and Toads". I already have this book in my library, but I bought this one to keep outside with me so that when I run into one of these little guys in my garden, I know who I am dealing with.
These are the most unusual of the books that I bought at the sale, and all at a cost of $1.00 each. All of the books were like new, with no writing or highlighting in them. In this day and age, with books selling in the 10-20 dollar range, you just can't beat it. On that note, I think that I read that West Lafayette is having a book sale in the next few weeks...I had better make some more room on my bookshelves!

3 comments:

Crafty Gardener said...

What a great selection of gardening books you got for your own library.
I'm trying to picture a carpet in the garden. Guess it would be a good way to get rid of the grass without digging. But what would you have to vaccuum the carpet???

Sherry at the Zoo said...

Looks to me like you hit the jack pot! I am dangerous at a book sale. Books are a definite weakness!

Dee/reddirtramblings said...

Wow, I would say you got some really great gardening books, although the one about carpet kind of gives me the heebee jeebees. Talk about an oxymoron. I really enjoyed your post and have fond memories about our own library book sale.~~Dee