Saturday, December 15, 2007

SNOW AND ICE

This is a picture of my crab tree earlier in the week. The second picture is of my tree rose. I did not notice it until I went out to get the mail, so I wasn't able to do anything to help, except wait for the ice to melt. It did spring back, but has a slight bow in the trunk. I am very lucky that it did not break. I ran across this rose last year at the wholesale nursery that we buy from. They are Knockout roses, and they had a special on them. So I bought one for myself and one for my Mother. Before I could get my Mother's planted, a big wind snapped it in half. So now I wonder if they were on special because they are just not able to withstand out weather.
I had mine staked, but the ice was just to much for it. It was especially pretty this Summer but I couldn't find any information on how hardy they were. I have never had a problem with the hardiness of regular Knockout roses, but tree roses can sometimes be a little more difficult to grow.
Our forecast for tonight is 7-10 inches of snow. It is supposed to be a heavy wet snow, so I am a little worried about my evergreens. I have filled the bird feeders, and put out suet to tide the birds over, and have plenty of food in the house. We only live 2 miles from the grocery store, on a State highway, so I usually don't have to worry about getting snowed in. My Son has his snowmobile gear all ready to go. Last year when we had the blizzard, and no one was allowed on the roads, he took his snowmobile out on the highway. He said he only saw a few vehicles in the entire time that he was out. He said it was one of the best experiences that he has ever had. The speed, the quite, and feeling like he was doing something not many people could do, was quit a thrill. I was happy to stay inside a watch him, and was glad when he got back home.
So maybe if I am snowed in I will finally get my "8 things that I am happy about" meme done, that Leslie over at Growing a Garden in Davis tagged me with last week.

2 comments:

Carol said...

I don't know about Lafayette, but down here in Indy, so far we have not gotten as much snow as they predicted we would. However, we'll see what comes in overnight!

Carol, May Dreams Gardens

Robin's Nesting Place said...

I hope your tree rose survives the weather.

I had my bird feeder filled and ready too, but the sleet had then enclosed in ice.