Saturday, December 29, 2007

GOOGLE MAPS

Wow, this is more than a little scary! Our local newspaper recently ran an article on 'street view' on google maps. They reported that people were concerned over the fact that strangers can look up an address, and basically check out your property. Lafayette is one of the cities that this service is available to, Indianapolis is another. Not all cities have been photographed yet, but I am sure that is not far off.
So, I decided to check and see if my property had been done. I couldn't believe the detail! I understand that this is not in real time, (the nearest I can figure the photo's were taken in August of 2007), it is still very 'Big Brother' like. I enjoy traveling around the world with google earth, but this is a whole different ball game!
I am not sure what is next.
(Sorry, I am not real good at links yet, but if you click on the title of this post, it will take you to street view of my property)

3 comments:

Carol said...

They've also been all over Indy but not on my street, yet. There was an article in the Indpls. Star about this the other day. Seems some woman got caught gardening with her backside to the street when they drove by with the cameras. I'll have to check later to see if my street shows up.

Carol, May Dreams Gardens

vonlafin said...

Oh my, I never thought of that! What a nightmare!

Robin's Nesting Place said...

My street has been done too. I'm not sure how I feel about it. I really don't see why this kind of detail is necessary.

I guess I can be thankful I wasn't outside gardening when they came by.