Friday, November 2, 2007

MY BABY

This is the first time that I have written a non-gardening blog, so you will have to bear with me just this once.
My baby turned 21 years old today. It seems like only yesterday that he was this sweet little thing. I can't stress enough to parents with small children-let everything else go, and just enjoy them while they are young. It goes so fast. While you are raising them you never think that it will end, but all of a sudden they have grown up, and all you want to do is just stop and say, "wait, I want to play a few of those years over again!".
My baby is an only child, and I think this makes it even harder. Every event in their life is the only time you will experience whatever it is, so you tend to make a big deal out of all of them. Every birthday, every school function, and so on.
Tonight we celebrated number 21 like we have celebrated all of the other ones, with a bonfire, and lots of family and friends. Sometimes we have linked the birthday and Halloween together, and dressed up in costumes. Sometimes the weather has forced us into the garage, out of the cold, wind, or rain. But this year we had perfect weather. We cooked hot dogs, and s'mores over the fire, and set up tables in the garage for everyone to sit, eat, and visit.
I have always hoped that my Son would share my love of nature and gardening. When he was a little boy, I would drive him to the babysitter, and on the way we would play the Spirea game. The game could only be played in the Spring, and the rules were that whoever spotted the Spirea in bloom first would yell out, "SPIREA", and the winner was whichever of us had the most when we got to our destination. We had such fun playing that game, and to this day, in the Spring, if we are driving someplace together, he will often yell out "SPIREA" if he spots one in bloom, before I can see it and claim it.
But at 21 years old, the last thing on his mind, is gardening and plants. Music, his guitar, and his vehicles are his passions. He does work in our business, but I do not see the passion that his Father and I have for it. That's OK, but I do hope someday he will know the value in growing his own food, and gardening just for the enjoyment that we gardeners get from watching plants grow.
Just last weekend he was the music coordinator and driver for the wedding of his newly married cousin. He drove them around town in his 1930 Model A, that he is so proud of. He has grown into a very fine young man.
He is kind, has a genuine love for his family, and a great loyalty to his friends. He has a deep love for God, and is very happy to share his faith with others.
I am proud to be his Mother.

3 comments:

Kylee said...

Oh my . . . *sniff* . . . what a beautiful tribute to your son. I'm sure he's just as proud to call you "Mom."

The most wonderful thing you've done for him was to pass on your faith and now he's made it his own. To me, that was the biggest priority in raising my girls. You've done well. :-)

Robin's Nesting Place said...

My oldest child, my precious daughter, turned 20 on October 20, I thought long and hard about posting on her birthday, but I didn't. I'm glad you did. I don't know why I have so much trouble posting about my own family since I like the personal touch on other blogs.

Anyway, I agree with Kylee about passing on our faith to our children. It has been my priority too.

Kamie said...

LOVE LOVE those pictures!