Friday, November 9, 2007

MAJOR PRUNING

This is the time of year when I do my major pruning. After the trees have dropped their leaves, it is much easier to trim them. I didn't plan to do any pruning today. I headed to my truck this morning to go finish a couple of jobs that I had started last week. Mainly just trimming back perennials in two of my favorite customers yards. I usually try to save Friday for this kind of thing. I figured that I could do what I had to do, and still get home and get a little work done in my own garden.
But, as fate would have it, my truck wouldn't start. Bummer, I would have to spend the entire day in my own garden. You can imagine how broken hearted I was! ;)
So first I tackled my Tanyosho Pine. I planted this pine 10 years ago, and it has done very well, but over the years it had accumulated a lot of dead wood, and large amounts of pine needles would accumulate where the branches come together at the base of the plant. I trimmed out all dead wood, and any branches that were crossing each other. I had not planned to do this when I started out front, so I don't have a before picture, but you could not see through it before I started, it was that thick with branches and needles.
Now I was on a roll. So I started in on the Sargent Crab tree. It didn't need much, because I keep after it, usually touching it up each fall. But
it had a few suckers, and my husband informed
me that it was getting very difficult to hang the
Christmas lights because it was growing
back towards the house, so I spent about an hour
shaping it up. It is so much easier to prune deciduous trees in the fall, because you can see exactly what you are doing, without all of those leaves in the way.
So now I have tomorrow to get the perennials trimmed off. I tend to move from bed to bed, instead of jumping around, usually starting in front of the house, and working my way to the back beds. I did divide a few perennials, and dig out a old spirea that wasn't doing well, in the bed that the Tanyosho pine is in. I couldn't believe how dry it was. So, after I finish the work in each bed, I water them well. Hopefully we will get the rain that is forecast for Monday.
I also want to share a picture of my 'miracle tree'. This tree was put in shortly after we moved here 17 years ago. When my Son was about 10 years old he was speeding around in my golf cart, and ran over the tree, taking it flat to the ground. My husband declared that we might as well pull it out, because there was no way that it could survive that. It was pretty beat up, but I decided that we would give it a chance, and I pulled it back up straight and staked it. There have been many times over the years that we have commented about how tough trees are, and how destructive kids are! The story has been told many times, especially by anyone commenting on how pretty the tree is. My Son has never forgotten the incident, and at graduation time, had some of his pictures taken under the tree.
It is now one of my favorite trees on our property.

2 comments:

Carol said...

It's amazing what a tree can go through and still survive. Gardeners should think about that and not be so squeamish about pruning.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I am a terrible pruner. I have had a few lessons, like when I took a Master Gardening class, but I think pruning is an art that not everyone can do well.

We have a tree in our back yard that my husband tells the story (before our marrige)about when he planted it it was ran over several times and he gave up and cut it down. It is a maple that is at least 30 ft tall now.