Monday, November 12, 2007

I MISSED IT!

I don't know how many of you have a Ginko tree's, but if you do, you know what I missed. In the fall, the leaves of the tree turn a pretty yellow. But there is one difference between Ginko's and other tree's. Most tree's drop their leaves over a period of a couple of weeks. Ginko tree's drop their leaves all at once. My Ginko was beautiful one day, and bare the next. This is nice if you don't like to cleanup leaves every other day during the fall season. With Ginko's, you only have to cleanup leaves once.
I have two Ginko tree's in my yard. One is in the herb garden, and one is near my new patio. They are a wonderful tree, but you have to be watchful in the fall, or you will miss all the action.
I don't know if any of you treat your evergreens in the fall with anti-transparent, but it is a good thing to do. What this product does for an evergreen, is to seal the leaves so that they don't lose moisture through the leaves, over the winter. It acts like a kind of "glue" on the leaves. Most evergreens are lost during the winter, because the air is dry, and winter winds pull the moisture out of the leaves. If the soil around the plant also goes into winter on the dry side, the evergreen will have a hard time surviving. Even if it is not killed, it can be burned by the cold winds. Most in danger are small, or newly planted evergreens. I usually don't worry about established evergreens, but azaleas, boxwood, rhododendron's, all should be treated.
The product that I use is called Wilt-Pruf. It comes in an aerosol spray can, or you can buy it in a quart or gallon size, and mix it yourself. I always go around in the fall, and spray the evergreens in all of the landscapes that I have done over the summer, and rarely lose any plants, if this is done. You can also treat you live or cut Christmas tree before bringing into the dry air of your home. The picture above is a heather that was planted earlier this Spring. When you spray the plant it looks like you have spray painted the plant white. It will dry to a clear, shiny finish. A one time spray will last all winter, but it must be applied while temperatures are above freezing.
You can find Wilt-Pruf at most garden centers or home stores.

2 comments:

Carol said...

I bought a new ginkgo tree this fall and right on schedule and all at once, my little tree dropped all of its leaves.

That's going to be nice when it gets big enough to have enough leaves to matter.

Carol at May Dreams Gardens

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Our neighbor has a ginko that we enjoy. I have noticed how it does its unveiling all at once.