Wednesday, November 21, 2007

THE END

I think that we have finally reached the end of our nice weather. It was wonderful while it lasted, but it is the end of November, and time for the cold weather to stay. This season sure went fast! Since this is my first year at blogging, it will be fun to look back to the Spring posts, now that it is cold, and relive those days, until they are finally back next Spring.
I did manage to get my garlic planted on Tuesday afternoon. I knew that the weather was going to change on Wednesday, and even though I don't mind cleaning up beds when it is cold, I don't like digging in wet soil and planting. And we do have wet soil! I think we have got close to 2 inches of rain today.
The picture above is the garlic split apart and ready to plant. I planted two different varieties, one was Inchelium Red, a softneck variety, and the other, Chesnok Red a hardneck variety. I ordered my garlic from Seeds of Change. It was a little pricey, but was grown organically, and that is what I wanted. Plus, I ordered late, and many companies were out of the varieties that I wanted.
I am trying the no till method of gardening, so I raked back the straw in the bed, and dug the holes with a small trowel. Then I covered the bed with compost, and a little bit of organic fertilizer, and covered the whole thing with mulched leaves. It has been a long time since I have grown garlic, so I thought that I would give it a try. It is kind of like starting the Spring planting season early. I feel like I am ahead of the game, having my first crop for next year planted already.
I was amazed when I started digging at how many earthworms that I found. Large ones, and baby ones. I don't ever remember seeing that many when I planted. I have to believe that it is because of the way that I planted the garden this year. I tilled it in the Spring, planted, and then placed straw around the plants. I couldn't believe how much difference a few inches of straw made in the garden. I had very few weeds, did not have to water as often, and now all of these earthworms. I think that I have found the method of gardening that I will be using from now on. Since I read the book, "Teaming With Microbes", (well, I didn't really read it, I kind of scanned it, but I do intend to read it eventually), I learned about the damage that you can do to soil when you till it. And after seeing all of those earthworms, I am beginning to believe it.
Well, I do hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving tomorrow. I hope that there is something on your table from your garden. That always makes it special. I also hope that you are able to spend it with the people that you care about, and the people that care about you. I have begun to see that it really doesn't matter whether you are with family or friends. What matters is that, if possible, you are with the people that you care most about in the world.

3 comments:

Tom Stearns said...

What a great read and informative blog. Thanks. I run a small seed company called High Mowing Organic Seeds and thought that maybe you and your gardening friends might be interested. Right now in Vermont, where we are based, it has been freezing rain for two days and only the spinach is still available in the garden. Spring is a long way off but your photos were a nice reminder of what the ground looks like under the snow.

Happy Thanksgiving,

Tom

Carol said...

I agree, not tilling the vegetable garden makes a positive difference in the earthworm population, or seems to. Since I switched to raised beds 6 or 7 years ago, I haven't had to till in the spring, so I can also get out earlier to plant.

Hope you had a great Thanksgiving.
Carol, May Dreams Gardens

joey said...

Enjoyed my visit ...

A fellow 'gardener with God' (and herb enthusiast).