Tuesday, October 30, 2007

WHAT HAPPENED TO OCTOBER???

Where did October go? It seems like it was just yesterday that I thought, 'Oh good, it's October, I will get so much done in the garden this month!' Tomorrow is the last day of the month, and I have only crossed two things off of my extremely long 'to do' list.
Part of the reason that I haven't completed more items from my list was the wedding of my favorite niece, on October 20. Even though I am just the Aunt, there was lots to do, and no extra time to spend in the garden.
I finally did get back to the garden this past weekend, but felt that I needed to get all of the plants moved inside that I did not want to lose to frost. Then there are my worms. This Spring when I started my vermiculture experiment, I placed my "can-o-worms" just outside the back door. All summer long I added all my kitchen waste, and the worms loved it! But, red worms do not tolerate cold weather, so I needed to get them moved inside for the winter. I decided at this time, to add fresh bedding, and move the worms into there new home in the basement. So I dumped the worms onto an old shower curtain, and sorted them into their new bedding. I really wanted to do this, to see how many worms had survived the summer. I was happy to see lots of red worms, and some really great compost. I added shredded newspaper, peat moss, and leaves to create their new
environment, so they are now ready to munch up all of our kitchen waste through the winter.
Now I am praying for a few more days of
good weather so that I can get the rest of my
fall work done. I still have plants to get into the ground, perennials to cut off, and annuals to pull. I also need to put all of my birdbaths, and outside decor away for the winter.
I have two sheds, one to store all of my garden "stuff", and they other we use for raising chickens. We have not raised any chickens for a few years, so I store my patio furniture in it. So, over the weekend, I open the door to this shed, and notice that some animal has been using the shed as it's personal bathroom. And by the looks of it, it's either a raccoon or a possum. Now I have to pull everything out, and try to find out where he is getting in. I did not need this task added to my already long list of things to do this fall. But I know that if I don't take care of this problem now, my patio furniture will not be fit to sit in come spring.
So, this weekend I will be back out there trying to catch up. I sure hope that November doesn't fly by like October did!

No comments: