Tuesday, October 9, 2007

FINALLY!!

Finally cooler weather!! The only thing that still looks good in my garden is the sedum, everything else is burned up or burned out. All the rain has gone around us, so I am still watering to at least keep everything alive.
My fruit garden has done really well considering it's the first year. I have been eating raspberries on and off all fall. Hopefully next year the blueberries and strawberries will be as plentiful.
The fencing have kept the rabbits out, so the plants are not being chewed to the ground every other day.
I have started a list of what needs to be moved this fall, and what should be left until spring. I always leave grasses to divide in the spring. I have not had much luck moving or dividing them in the fall. As tough as they are, they don't seem to make it very well through the winter if they are not rooted in well. I really would rather move and divide plants in the fall. There are so many other things to do in the spring, that the more I can get done in the fall the better. I also like to cut all of the perennials off in the fall. I f I leave them, the rabbits have lots of places to hide over the winter.
My tomato cages worked well, except that I didn't anchor them down, and the first big wind that came along knocked them over. I just left them, and continued picking the tomatoes where they lay, but next year I will be staking them at the same time that I plant the tomatoes. I also will not be planting near as many tomatoes as I did this year. I have offered them to everyone that I know, but most people only want them if you deliver them, they don't want to have to come and pick the tomatoes themselves. I enjoyed the cherry tomatoes more this year, they seemed to have a better flavor than the regular tomatoes.
This weekend is the Feast of the Hunter's Moon here in Lafayette. I have not been to it in years, but for the last 3 years we have held our annual garage sale on that weekend. We call it the 'Feast of the Garage Saler's Moon'. We always have a big crowd, and get a lot of people stopping that are headed in for the Feast. I usually have some plants to sell, and all the miscellaneous stuff that I have accumulated over the past year.
So, I will be busy for the next few days getting ready for the sale, then on Friday night is the library book sale, that I should not be going to, but can not seem to stay away.

3 comments:

Carol said...

It sounds like you are going to have beautiful weather this weekend, so your garage sale and the Feast should both do quite well.

I also like to dig and divide in the fall to save time in the spring. But, as dry as it has been, I'm not sure if the perennials would withstand that right now.

Carol at May Dreams Gardens

Connie said...

If I were in your neighborhood, I would come to your sale...love those garage sales. :-) Library sales are fun, too!

Lisa at Greenbow said...

My garden is also worn out this fall. Looking forward to spring tho. Hopefully then we will have plenty of rain and can do some dividing and moving of plants safely.

Good luck with your garage sale.