Wednesday, August 29, 2007

TURTLEHEAD

Wow, it's been awhile since I have added anything to my blog. I don't know how you blogger's who post daily do it, especially this time of year.
I feel like there is nothing going on in the garden. I know that I am just waiting for a little cooler weather so that I can start dividing, and moving plants. I really enjoy getting the beds ready for fall. When I divide or move plants, I can almost feel their relief, and their promise that I will be paid back next year with wonderfully lush foliage and beautiful flowers.
One of the plants that is blooming right now is the Turtlehead (Chelone). This planting is about 3 years old. It starts out small, and slowly spreads. I like it because it blooms when not much else is. It likes to be kept moist, so it has not looked it's best this year because we had no rain, and I didn't get it watered as often as I should have.
A few years ago a friend of mine stopped by, and as all gardeners do, we walked around the lawn. This planting was not very old, but was blooming. I went on and on about how thrilled I was about this plant, and what a wonderful specimen it was. My friend nodded in agreement about what a wonderful specimen it was. Several weeks later I stopped by her home, and noticed a Turtlehead plant about five times the size of mine, in full bloom. I realized then that this was a true friend. Someone who would let me go on and on about this wonderful plant that I had grown, knowing full well that the one she had at home made mine look like a piker.
I hope that everyone one of you has a friend like that in your life.

2 comments:

Kylee said...

I don't have any of this, but after seeing yours, I might have to get some! It looks so healthy!

Connie said...

I had to click the photo to enlarge so I could get a close look at this...it is indeed a handsome plant!