Sunday, August 19, 2007

FINALLY RAIN!!!

We are finally getting rain this evening. It started rumbling around 6:00 P.M. and has rained off and on since then. It seems to be getting a little more serious about it now. I just puttered around the garden today, watering and fertilizing the container plants. The tomatoes are starting to get to the "to many at once" stage, so I need to find someone to take them off my hands, or get out the canner kettle. The pickles, beets, and green peppers are still going strong despite the lack of moisture. I think I will plant some potatoes and some more beets this next week.
I planted this "Tiger Eye" sumac this spring. I bought it last fall on a clearance and did not get it planted. It over wintered in the garden, and the rabbits pruned it almost beyond recognition. I didn't have much hope for it, but it has done very well. It looks especially good next to the tri-color beech. I was a little concerned that it would get to large for this area, but read somewhere that you can just trim out the largest branches, and it should stay at a manageable size. It really looks good with purple, so I have planted coral bells, and "Red Emperor" sedum next to it.
It is supposed to rain all day tomorrow, and then get very hot again this week. I'm hoping that we get enough rain that I won't have to drag hoses around all week.

5 comments:

Carol said...

No rain yesterday, but we've been getting rain this afternoon. My one rain gauge had 2.5 inches in it when I got home, the other only measured about 1.5 inches and it was overflowing. I'm loving it!

I hope we don't pay too dearly for this rain with the hot and humid weather that is coming in behind this front! I'm not going to think about that. I'm going to just enjoy this rain for the moment.

Carol at May Dreams Gardens

Robin's Nesting Place said...

So glad to get rain here too. The ground is good and saturated.

Blackswamp_Girl said...

Oh wow... that 'Tiger Eyes' is gorgeous. Hard to believe that the bunnies decimated it so much this spring, as lush as it looks now!

Hope you got a good, long, soaking rain like you wanted...

WashingtonGardener said...

Glad you are getting rain too!
BTW My grandmother lives and gardens not too far from you in tiny Francesville (Pulaski County) - at least close enough to get the Lafayette channels in. (Hoosier Millionaire ruled!)

Kylee said...

I don't have 'Tiger Eye' but I do have a Staghorn Cutleaf Sumac and it looks similar. Don't you just love them? :-)