Tuesday, July 3, 2007

MAIL CALL

I heard the cicada's singing this week, it is now truly summer!!
This mailbox was a cast off from a customer, and I believe that most things that people throw in the trash, can be used by someone, somewhere. It just takes a little imagination. I won't claim this use of a mailbox as my own, I am sure that I have seen it done in some gardening magazine from the past, but when I saw this one, I knew that I could make good use of it.
This particular box is the super-dupper size, so I can get lots of stuff inside. Right now it holds a pair of gloves, several garden tools, hand shears, watering accessories, some plastic bags in case someone wants a start from one of the plants in this bed, and a couple of kneely pads. The garden that this mailbox is in, is at the back of the property. It has already saved me lots of steps. I don't know how many times I was just walking through the garden and saw a weed that needed to be dug, or a flower that needed to be cut, and I wouldn't have the tool I needed.
You can also see in this picture a piece of 'art' hanging in the tree behind the mailbox. I stopped at my Mother's house one day and this object was laying outside the garage. I asked her about it and she said that someone had given it to her, and that she really didn't want it. So I told her that I would find a use for it, and took it home. I think it's kind of cool, and the birds seem to like it.
Tomorrow is a holiday, and if it doesn't rain, we hope to get the patio under roof. But if it does rain, I will take that to, we still need it.

2 comments:

Robin said...

I had an old mailbox in my shade garden in Alabama. I left the door open and the wrens frequently used it for a nesting place. How clever to use it as a tool box.

Connie said...

Great idea! Even though I have several trowels I am always laying them down somewhere and then can't find them when I need them. I like your garden art....I love the look of cast offs and pieces with a past in the garden.