Wednesday, July 18, 2007

CELEBRATION

After much work, we were somewhat ready for our gathering on Sunday. The patio wasn't completely finished, but it was covered in case of rain. We added a tent to the lawn area beside it, and we had enough seating for everyone.
The weather couldn't have been more beautiful. It was warm with a slight breeze, not the usual baking July sun. We had about 75 in attendance, which was about average for this kind of thing.
Those of you who are Catholic may have heard of Cursillo. It is a retreat, with it's purpose to bring us closer to Christ, and our fellow Christians. The annual picnic for the group has always been held in the same place, but these people were ready for a break, so I volunteered to have it at my house. it was a lot of work, but I think that everyone had a good time.
Before the picnic, we held our morning Mass under a tent at the back of my property. This was a huge blessing for me, to be sitting on my own lawn, with the birds and butterflies all around, celebrating Mass with my fellow Catholics. Another huge blessing was a chalice that I had purchased while in Assisi, a few years ago, was able to be used during the Mass.
In two weeks we have another big celebration..my husbands 50th birthday. I expect as many or more people for that one.
I have most of my mulching, weeding and planting done, but you know as gardeners, there is always something else. This is one of my favorite times, just maintaining and keeping the weeds down. I already have my list started for what gets moved where this fall, I am afraid it will be here before you know it.
I also had my first BLT with tomatoes from my garden, last evening. I always look forward to that.
I have also noticed that the japanese beetles are not as bad, maybe there time here is about up. I still battle rabbits and moles, which I successfully eradicate as soon as I see them working. I wish that rabbit's were as easy to get rid of.

2 comments:

Kylee said...

What a wonderful day you had! Nothing like fellowshipping with friends in The Spirit!

I was beginning to think I'd escaped the Japanese Beetles this summer, but about a week and a half ago, I found three and have found seven since then. Last year, I only had 13, so we'll see if more of their friends find their way here. I hope not.

mmwalsh@swcp.com said...

Love your blog! My parents have both been involved in Cursillo for years. I always loved the idea of taking flowers and singing to people in the morning at the retreat!