Tuesday, June 19, 2007

HERB GARDEN

My property is an official Wildlife Habitat!
The National Wildlife Federation has named my property a certified wildlife habitat.
It wasn't to complicated, you basically fill out a form on their website. They ask lot's of questions about your property, and if you meet all of the criteria, you are certified.
Now, what does that mean? Not a whole lot. You get a certificate in the mail, and for a donation, you get the sign for your yard.
The wildlife can rest assured that they will be taken care of and protected on my property, except of course for the rabbit's, they know that they aren't welcome.
I worked a little in the herb garden this evening. We finally got a little rain this morning, only 1/2 an inch, but that is better than nothing. It made the weeds come out a little bit easier. It was nice and cool, the honeysuckle was smelling really good, and the chamomile, though almost finished blooming, also smelled good. I think that is why the herb garden is my favorite place. It always smells so good there. The calendula's are also blooming, and the lavender.
Whenever people see my herb garden, the first thing that they always ask is, "do you use all of these herbs for cooking?". Sadly, I have to tell them no. I don't get much cooking done during the summer.
I do use the chives, basil, mint, loveage, and
rosemary,but that is about it.
I hope that someday I will be able to use more of what I grow. I do have friend's stop to get herb's if they need them, so they don't go unused. I also think that it is worth growing them, just for the enjoyment of walking through the garden in the evening, and breathing in all of the different scents.

2 comments:

Carol said...

Your herb garden is a beautiful place!

Leslie said...

I agree...just smelling them in the garden is worth it. And then when you need a little bit of some herb there it is waiting for you!