Wednesday, May 23, 2007

MIDWEEK UPDATE

I don't know what is going on with my tree peony. I posted a picture of it blooming yellow on Sunday, but today the same plant had a pink bloom on it. I am going to have to examine it closer and see if there are actually two plants.
I am also posting a picture of my "Dortmund" rose that is blooming. It suffered a lot of winter damage, so it is not as pretty as it was last year,
but it is still alive!
The last photo is of my sweet bay magnolia. My favorite tree, and it looks like it is not going to make it. I am not sure what happened to it. The tree has four forks, one of which leafed out and is now blooming. The other three trunks looked like they were going to leaf out, and then the buds just shriveled up and died. I waited as long as I could, and kept it watered, but I am now giving up. I think that I will plant a new one beside it, leave the branch that is alive, and cut of the other three trunks. I am grateful for the live trunk that is in bloom now. I am so used to the fragrance from the magnolia when I am working in the garden, I would really miss it. This tree was about 12 years old, so it will be a while before the new one catches up. I really hate this, but mother nature makes the rules,not us.

1 comment:

Carol said...

I hope Mother Nature decides to ease up and send us some rain! The tree peony is pretty, I don't have one, but have seen so many bloggers with pictures of them that I think I need to get one.