Sunday, April 29, 2007

WEEKEND WORK

Do any of you ever have a plan in your mind of what you want to accomplish for the weekend, and then end up working on something completely different? I tend to do this a lot. During the work week, I will be thinking about what I plan to do on the weekend. Then come Saturday morning I head out to complete these things. Something will get me off track, and before you know it I am working on something completely different that what I had planned to do.
This weekend I had my mental list of things that I wanted to accomplish. As I headed out to gather my tools together I passed a groundcover bed of pachysandra. When this bed was planted I mixed in some myrtle. Over the years the pachysandra has done well, but the myrtle always looks bad, especially in the spring. The bed also had a lot of leaves in it. So, I get in there and start ripping out the myrtle. Hours later with that done, I notice that there are some hosta in that same bed that need dividing, so I work on that. Needless to say, I never get to the job that I had planned.
But wait, I still have Sunday. I try not to do any heavy work on Sunday, because I think that we all need a day of rest. But, it is spring, and there is so much to do. So I decide to putter around with some little things that need to be done. I planted some strawberries that I had bought bare root, and needed to go in the fruit garden. That led to starting my 3 foot fence around this garden because the rabbits see it as their own personal buffet. They munch the blueberries down to nothing, and chew the raspberries off and leave them lay.
So I decided this year, that I would get some fruit out of this garden one way or another. So, up goes the fence. I didn't get that job completed because I ran out of fencing, and didn't want to tackle the local Menard's on a weekend. So I am hoping that I still have some plants left tomorrow. I will post a picture once I get the fence completed.
I do have a few photo's to share. The first is a Fritillaria. This is the first year for it, and I was very pleased with the size of the bloom. If you have never grown these unusual bulbs, you should try them. They are said to be repellent to most vermin. I think that it might be because of their unusual odor. I won't say that it is unpleasant, but it is definitely unusual. They should be planted in the fall.
The second photo is of my Purple Beech tree. These are my favorite trees and I have three different varieties in my yard. It is just beginning to unfurl it's leaves. They start out a bronze color, and turn a deep purple over time. They stay that color the entire summer.
I think my passion for them started about 25 years ago when there was a beech tree in our town that was about 150 years old. There were no ordinances at the time protecting these old trees, and when a pharmacy bought the lot that the tree sat on, and built their store, the tree was cut down so that the sign for the store was visible from the road. I still remember how I felt that day when I drove by and the tree was cut down. I could not believe that they had done it.
There was such an outcry from the people, that they now have an ordinance against cutting down any trees, without approval from the city. I never did shop at that store, I just couldn't get past them cutting down that tree. So my job is to plant as many beech trees as I can!
Well, I didn't get any of my jobs done this weekend that I had planned to get done. But next weekend is just 5 days away, so I will start making my mental list of what I want to get accomplished, and I just might stick to it this time!

2 comments:

Robin said...

You suggested that I read the poem from March 6th, I did and I love it. It is so hard to keep up with spring gardening and all of the housework. I'd much rather be outside after being cooped up all winter. What an unusual plant the fritillaria is; very pretty.

OldRoses said...

I've grown fritillaria twice and twice the bulbs rotted the second year. It's too wet here in NJ for them. It's too bad because they are really spectacular. I hope you have better luck with yours.