Thursday, April 5, 2007

MARCH WEATHER, IN APRIL

This is my 'Cleveland Select' pear tree in full bloom, two days ago. It doesn't look like this anymore. Not only are the new buds wiped out on my flowering tree's, but the leaves have been damaged also. I am glad that my magnolia's were able to bloom before the cold hit, I did enjoy them while it lasted.
The heat in my greenhouse will need to be turned on tonight. I don't have much in there, but my seedling are in there, and even though they are on a heat mat, I don't want to take the chance of it getting below freezing inside.
Since it was to cold and windy to do much work outside today, I went with a friend to Indianapolis to pick up some furniture that she had ordered. After picking up the furniture, we had the rest of the day to do whatever we wanted. We decided on hitting the garden centers. She had never been to Altum's, so that was one of our stops. We also went to Habig's, and to Smith and Hawken's where I picked up a orchid that was priced at $59.95. It was clearance priced at $14.95!
What a great buy. You don't run into those kinds of deals very often, especially at Smith and Hawken.
Next, we went to Half-price-books, were I left the rest of the money that I had brought with me! Luckily my friend is not as into books as I am, and we only shopped there for about 1/2 hour.
It was a pretty nice day if you were inside looking out, but if you were outside, the wind made it feel about 30 degrees.
Well, as they say. if you live in Indiana, and you don't like the weather today, it will be totally different tomorrow.
I think that we are going to have to wait a bit longer that that though, it sounds like the first of the week before we are back to normal temperatures.

2 comments:

Carol said...

I was happy that my magnolia bloomed last week, too!

And great deal on that orchid!

Kylee said...

Oh, I'm so jealous of your Cleveland Pear! Ours was all budded out when we got blasted by winter again, so I'm certain we won't see such lovely blooms. :-(

My 'Jane' magnolia has/had lots of buds preparing for bloom, then well, you know. Some are still fuzzy and green while others are black and pruny-looking.

There's always next year...