Monday, April 9, 2007

CHRISTMAS IN APRIL??


Well, I guess that my amaryllis is a little confused. All of this cold weather we are having, it thinks that it is Christmastime!
A few years ago I took a bunch of bulbs and planted them in one pot. They haven't done much, so this year when I took them to the basement to overwinter, I tucked them under a bench where they didn't get any water or light.
I never have been one to try and get my plants to bloom at the 'right' time, I tend to just let them bloom whenever they want to.
Well, when we started having all of the warm weather, I decided to move all of my basement plants, to the greenhouse. The amaryllis had started sending up a few leaves, so I knew that it was time.
They love it out there! They have taken off, and are now almost in full bloom. They are all fighting for space to open fully. I don't know if that is going to happen, they seem pretty crowded. There are about nine or ten stems and with four flowers on each stem, it is quite beautiful. It sure would have been nice to have had her in the house, blooming like this, at Christmastime.
Maybe next year I will try to plan better.
(By the way, I won second place in the March book pile contest. The prize is an annual subscription to Librarything. I don't know what they do if you already have an annual subscription??)

3 comments:

Carol said...

Those are quite pretty and quite Christmas-y. And congrats on winning the book pile award!

Robin said...

Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. I had not seen your blog, so I'm glad you commented! I love your path through the herb garden. In one of your posts you said something about, if you don't like the weather wait a day. We used to say that in Alabama, but it is even more true for Indiana. More like if you don't like the weather wait a minute. It's kind of crazy that is for sure.

By: Kristi B. said...

Your amaryllis are lovely! From what I know about them, they will not bloom again at Christmastime once the bulb has been forced to do it once. From there on out they will only bloom in the spring, which is their natural blooming time (April). Yours are beautiful!