Tuesday, March 20, 2007

MARCH BOOKPILE


I have entered two photos in the March book pile contest at Librarything. I have never done this, but I couldn't resist, since one of the subjects was spring. I am a bit late getting my plants started in the greenhouse, but I usually don't plant my tomatoes into the garden until mid-May, so they will have plenty of time to grow by then.
I am trying several new varieties this spring, mostly heirloom annuals, perennials, and herbs. I was inspired by Elizabeth Lawrence. One perennial that I am trying this year is the Primrose-Cowslip, Primula veris. The catalog that I ordered the seed from, actually quotes what some of the old garden writers have to say about the plants and seeds they sell. Elizabeth Lawrence is quoted as saying that this Primrose should be used to edge a bed of early daffodils. This catalog has lots of heirloom seeds, and they are fairly priced. I am not sure were they got my name from, but the catalog appeared along with the rest of them, in my mailbox this spring. The name of the company is Select Seeds (www.sselectseeds.com). I also ordered from Seeds of Change (www.seedsofchange.com), mostly because they have unusual varieties, they are all organic, and I just like the way they are trying to keep these old varieties from disappearing.
I also ordered a few plants from k.van Bourgondien & sons, inc. I can order wholesale from them, so I do take advantage of that when I find
something that they have. I usually order Canna's from them for a client, so I just add a few things to the order for myself. :)
That is one problem with being in the business, it is very hard when you are picking out plant material for a client, not to add a few for yourself.
I can do this, and often do, because customers come to my property to look at different plants, how they grow, etc. It is helpful for the clients, and I get to enjoy the plants the rest of the time!