Thursday, March 1, 2007

Book Review: TWO GARDENERS : A Friendship in Letters

Katharine S. White & Elizabeth Lawrence

I ordered the book, and also read it in just a few days. I couldn't help but think how wonderful it would be to have those times back again. Of course these ladies were way out of my league, but I think that I would have enjoyed talking with them, and maybe visiting their gardens. The book also got me interested again in the older plant varieties. It seems that every year they come out with bigger, and better plants. But there is something to be said for the older varieties. When the old fashioned honeysuckle in my garden, that I got from a friends, Mothers garden, blooms, there is nothing like it!
I also immediately ordered, "Onward and Upward in the Garden", so that I could read some of the things that Katharine was writing about during the time of the letters. I also felt such sorrow for E.B. White, after his wife had passed. I am sure that those were lonely times for him. He wrote an introduction to the Onward and Upward book, and at the end of it he writes, "As the years went by and age overtook her, there was something comical yet touching in her bedraggled appearance on this awesome occasion-the small, hunched-over figure, her studied absorption in the implausible notion that there would be yet another spring, oblivious to the ending of her own days, which she knew perfectly well was near at hand, sitting there with her detailed chart under those dark skies in the dying October, calmly plotting the resurrection."
She was a true gardener.

1 comment:

Carol said...

How wonderful to see your book review. I'm going to add it to my post for the Garden Bloggers' Book Club! Welcome aboard!

(I also ordered some new books after reading these letters...)